Switching the Parents
Sometimes you discover that the mother of a family is displayed as the father and and vice versa. This will happen when you add a husband for a woman. Both the woman ánd the husband didn't have their gender set however, so Genbox will then put her in the ‘husband’ position and him in the ‘wife’ position of the relationship.
You've corrected the gender of both individuals afterwards but that will not change these positions. This only becomes obvious though when you link children to the family. You will find mother in the father-box and father in the mother-box.
No matter what you do, it will be very difficult to persuade them to change positions. Hopefully Bill will design a "reverse parents" feature someday but untill then, you will have to do the following.
- Select the Summary-tab of ‘Wife of Family’ of the family.
- Go to Select in the menubar > choose "Mark subrecords", confirm the dialog. You will see that the events for ‘Wife of Family’ are now in red.
- Go to Data > choose "Extract Marked subrecords", confirm the dialogs. This will create a new Individual with the name ‘Extracted Individual’. ‘Wife of Family’ doesn't have any events or children or parents anymore. They are moved to ‘ Extracted Individual’.
- Go to this ‘Extracted Individual’ (it's the last one in the database, you can click on the [>|] button in the toolbar). In the Header-box of this individual, you will see ‘Extracted Individual’. In the Name-box you will see the ‘Wife of Family’.
- Select ‘Husband of Family’ in the spouse-box but do not double-click on it. Right-click and choose "Delete". Confirm the dialog.
- ‘Extracted Individual’ will now have an "(unknown spouse)". Double-click on it.
- Select ‘Wife of Family’ from the list. It will appear that you're going to link the parent to him- or herself but don't worry, you don't. Click select and confirm the dialog.
- Double-click on ‘Wife of Family’ in the spouse-box, she will become the focus individual.
- Select ‘Extracted Individual’ in the spouse-box but again, do not double-click on it. Right-click and choose "Delete". Confirm the dialog (see image from step 5).
- Double-click in the now empty spouse-box and select ‘Husband of Family’ from the list, click Select and confirm the dialog (see image from step 6).
The family-events and the children are now restored for both parents.
- With ‘Wife of Family’ still the focus individual, go to Data > choose "Merge Individuals". Select the last ‘Extracted Individual’ from the List, click Select and confirm the dialogs.
- The parents and individual events of ‘Wife of Family’ are now restored for her. Furthermore, she is now in the correct parentsbox, as you can see below.
- The only things you need to do now is do now is some cleaning. Their might be an extra marriage-event for ‘Wife of Family’. It's the one that is "unmarked", delete it.
- From the Identifier-tab, delete the extra name for this individual.
- To finish this project, go to Select > choose "Unmark subrecords" for both parents.
If you want to see this in action, I have tried to capture this tutorial in flash. It starts with creating some ‘gender-insecure’ parents.